Temperature Controlled Storage for Your Most Valuable Belongings
About Temperature Controlled Storage
iStorage offers temperature controlled storage units are maintained at between 55 and 85 degrees to protect your belongings from extreme temperatures.
Nearly anything you store can benefit from temperature controlled storage. Metal, wood, and plastics can warp from exposure to cycles of heat and cold. When these materials expand and contract, they can weaken and crack. Clothing, furniture, artwork on canvas, and anything made of fabric can develop mold or mildew or can break down when exposed to humidity. Extreme cold can damage electronics beyond repair. No matter what you're storing, temperature control is a feature worth considering.
When You Need Temperature Controlled Storage
Some items you wish to store have monetary or sentimental value. They may include one of a kind gifts or souvenirs. Or you may need to store a wine collection or some artwork that would benefit from temperature controlled storage that maintains temperatures between 55°F and 85°F. Our temperature controlled storage units are also enclosed, providing added protection from dust, pests, and other environmental threats to valuables.
The impact of severe temperatures can cause substantial damage to materials. Wood can warp due to expansion and contraction in extreme temperature conditions. Paper and fabrics can yellow, and electronics can be ruined.
Temperature Sensitive Storage Items
Here are just a few items that would benefit from temperature controlled storage.
- Collectible Cars
- Photo Albums
Advantages of Temperature Controlled Storage
Renting temperature controlled storage costs more than renting basic storage, but in many cases, the advantages outweigh the added cost. Here are some of the advantages you will want to consider before deciding which storage option is best for you.
- The cost of properly protecting valuable environmentally sensitive items can be less than the cost to replace them.
- Visiting your self-storage unit is comfortable in any weather because due to constant temperatures between 55 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- No worries about pests, temperature damage, or corrosion if your belongings remain in storage longer than initially planned.
- Knowing your sensitive items are protected provides peace of mind.
- Wood and metal are protected from warping, splitting, and cracking that results from cycles of freezing and thawing that cause contraction and expansion.
- Interior temperature controlled storage units allow more privacy during your visits than basic drive-up storage units allow.
- Protection from heat, cold, and the elements prevent yellowing and degradation in leather, fabric, and clothing.
Temperature Controlled Checklist
It's always important to have a plan for storage. This is especially true when you're storing items that require the additional protection of temperature control. Use the following checklist to make sure you get the most from your climate control storage.
- Make a Plan
- List all items you will be storing, noting those you will need to be able to access readily.
- Categorize your items based on material type - fabrics, metal, glass
- Purchase boxes and packing tape
- Collect newspaper, blankets, bubble wrap to protect your items
- Find pallets or storage shelves to put your sensitive materials
- Pack boxes tightly to maximize storage space and reduce breakage.
- Put similar items together
- Keep pieces together. For example, place the TV remote and cords in a plastic bag and store with the TV.
- Label all boxes
- Create a diagram based on your measurements of the storage unit, and plan where you will place your items. Don't forget to put your most frequently used items at the front of the storage unit.
- Contact iStorage regarding access hours
- Organize your unit based on your diagram
- Make sure temperature sensitive items have room for air circulation
- Raise furniture and important items off the floor
- Keep your list of stored items and your diagram in a safe place for future reference
Contact iStorage today to find out about our move in promotions!