With over 185 golf courses, fantastic weather most of the year, 6 lakes, and one of the biggest parks in North America, Phoenix, AZ, is overflowing with opportunities to enjoy outdoor leisure time! (The nightlife is pretty decent, too!) If you’re moving to Phoenix or just arrived and want to know where to find all the fun, read on! iStorage put together the best things to do in Phoenix, AZ, below!
What’s the Weather Like in Phoenix?
There’s no denying that Phoenix gets hot, especially in summer. The city sees sweltering heat and very little rain from May through September, so it’s often dry as a bone. Still, that leaves 7 full months where the weather is excellent for outdoor activities. Swimming, golfing, hiking, biking, pickleball, you name it, you can enjoy it in Phoenix most of the year!
The Top Outdoor Activities in Phoenix
If you’re the type who lives outdoors, you’re going to love Phoenix! Below are some of the top activities and sports you can enjoy in the city.
Did we mention that Phoenix has over 185 golf courses? That’s a huge number, and many are excellent. The Top 10 are below, but there are many more that beg to be played.
- Troon North Golf Club
- TPC Scottsdale
- Wickenburg Ranch Golf & Social Club
- We-Ko-Pa Golf Club
- Grayhawk Golf Club
- The Boulders
- Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club
- Quintero Golf Club
- The Wigwam
- Westin Kierland Resort and Spa
If biking is your jam, Phoenix will be your jelly! The city is celebrated for its fantastic biking opportunities! The city has over 700 miles of bike paths and routes, with over 100 of them being off-road! Some of the best biking in Phoenix can be found at the locations below.
- Camelback Mountain
- Papago Park
- South Mountain Park
- Black Canyon Trail
- Sonoran Trail
- Arizona Canal Trail
- Big Butte Loop
- Thunderbird Park
- Desert Classic Trail
- Dixie Mountain Loop
Some of the most exciting rock climbing in the United States is right here in Arizona! From pure climbing to bouldering and much more, you can find it around the city. Some of the best climbing routes in Phoenix are below.
- West Chimney
- South Crack
- Razor’s Edge
- Hanging Gardens
- East Face
- One for the Road
- Renaissance Direct
- Beat Feet
- Spice Box
Hikers come to Phoenix worldwide to revel in our natural wonders and enjoy the Sonoran Desert. There are many spectacular hiking trails to enjoy. The best places to hike in the city are below, with their difficulty rating next to each.
- Double Butte Loop and Hole-in-the-Rock Trail in Papago Park – Easy
- Waterfall Trail in White Tank Mountain Regional Park – Easy
- Hidden Valley via Mormon Trail in South Mountain Park/Preserve – Moderate
- Lookout Mountain Summit Trail in Phoenix Mountains Preserve – Moderate
- Dixie Mountain Loop in the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve – Moderate
- Echo Canyon Trail on Camelback Mountain – Difficult
- Piestewa Summit Trail in the Phoenix Mountains Preserve – Difficult
- Siphon Draw Trail to Flatiron in Lost Dutchman State Park – Difficult
The 10 Best Restaurants in Phoenix
Phoenix is a foodie’s paradise and a delight for the tastebuds! Many fantastic restaurants are here, making it genuinely difficult to pick the Top 10!
- Pizzeria Bianco- Wood-fired pizza inspired by Naples, Italy
- Binkley’s Restaurant- Fine dining with an ever-changing menu
- Quiessence at The Farm at South Mountain- Romantic dining at its best
- Little Miss Barbecue- The best beef brisket in the city
- Kai Restuarant- All locally sourced ingredients
- Nobuo- Japanese at its best, with a day and night menu
- Durant’s- The city’s best martinis
- Ocotillo- Don’t miss the outdoor beer garden!
- Tacos Chiwa- Mexican cuisine with a genuine flair
- A Different Pointe of View- Great food with a spectacular view
The 5 Best Food Trucks in Phoenix
Food trucks abound in Phoenix, including the 5 best below! Get your food on the go!
- Nourish- Eclectic gourmet
- 3Sixty Kitchen- Southern comfort food
- Tzikii Food Truck- Greek and Mediterranean treats
- Mr. Wonderful’s Chicken and Waffles- Chicken and waffles together? Yes, please!
- The Taste- Soul food
The Best Parks in Phoenix
Looking for a park to visit with the kids, your dog, or by yourself for some reflection? If yes, there are 180 parks in Phoenix to choose from! That includes skate parks, dog parks, athletic fields, and even parks where you can plan a wedding or event! The best of them include the following:
- Encanto Park- (One of the best)
- Freestone Park
- Tempe Beach Park
- Desert Breeze Park
- Kiwanis Park
- Chaparral Park
- Margaret T. Hance Park
- Moon Valley Park
Store All Your Gear Safely and Affordably with iStorage
If you’ve arrived in Phoenix and need to safely store your golf, kayaking, hiking, biking, or other gear, iStorage Phoenix is your best choice! Before you choose, see our storage unit size guide. It’s the best way to determine what size storage units you’ll need, so you rent one that fits everything. If you’ve just arrived to stay and have a truck full of household goods, iStorage Phoenix offers safe, clean storage units with all the necessary amenities. That includes 24/7 security cameras, electronic gates, and an on-site manager. When you’re ready, call or click to reserve your storage units in Phoenix online from iStorage, the Phoenix, AZ, self storage experts!