Staying healthy in body and mind can be a challenge in today’s world. More days than not, we’re faced with something that throws us off balance. When your home is in a constant state of disarray, the clutter can lead to a closed-in feeling and more anxiety. Storage facilities can help with all the material stuff. To clear your mind, you need to designate an area in your home for a special place to work out, chill out, and be by yourself. Wellness is about being healthy in mind, spirit, career, positivity, and relationships. Your wellness journey begins at home. So sit back, relax and read about our best wellness room ideas.
Different Types of Wellness Spaces You Can Create.
The thing about wellness is that it encompasses many different aspects of your life. It can be, for example, wellness for your body like a weight room or workout room. Wellness for your mind starts with a meditation room, and for your soul (and joints), a yoga studio. Hobbies are great for your emotional wellness, making a hobby room perfect! Below are some wellness room ideas to help you get started!
Wellness Room Ideas: a Hobby Room
Hobbies are, in a word, fantastic. They help you clear your mind and think. They reduce stress too and give you feelings of great satisfaction. If you’re lucky enough to have a spare room at home, creating a hobby wellness room is a great choice! You’ll likely need
- A large table to work from. This is especially true if your hobby is puzzles or building with Lego bricks.
- A comfortable chair. Since most hobbies are enjoyed sitting down, a comfy chair is vital. Do make sure that it provides enough back support, though, to prevent back problems later.
- Storage bins and organizers. Creating with beads, crocheting, or sewing means a lot of supplies. To keep from having a huge mess, you’ll need storage bins and organizers for everything.
- Lots of light. Either natural or human-made, you want to see what you’re doing when you enjoy your hobby. That means having plenty of light. Big windows are a plus, of course. At night, though, they won’t help, so one or two well-placed lamps is a must.
Wellness Room Ideas: a Meditation Room
Meditation is one of the best activities for your mind, spirit, and energy. It’s also free, easy to do, and can be done almost anywhere. However, if you have the extra space, a mediation room is one of the better wellness room ideas. Here are a few things you’ll need to decorate it perfectly:
- Plants. Plants are all-natural, give off oxygen, and make you feel great.
- A meditation mat. If you have wood floors, this is a must, at least for comfort’s sake.
- Posters and prints that help you relax. Nature scenes, great quotes, and simple, easy-to-repeat phrases make excellent wall decor in a meditation room. (They help you get in the groove.)
- Meditation music.
Wellness Room Ideas: a Reading Room
Reading, unfortunately, is becoming a lost art. If you love a good book, though, having a quiet, peaceful place to read at home is vital. A reading wellness room should have few distractions if any. You don’t need a TV, for example, or a computer. What you d need is a space that’s tranquil and relaxing. A nice, comfortable chair and some mood lighting work well. Plants work great here too, and some light, relaxing music never hurts. A sign on the door that says “Only Interrupt Me If There’s a True Emergency” might be nice too. (It’s especially handy if you have kids at home.) In other words:
- A comfy overstuffed chair that supports your back.
- Lots of mood lighting (but plenty over your book to protect your eyes from the strain).
- Low, relaxing music. (Classical is best. No words to distract you.)
- Plenty of plants (check out this plant guide for easy indoor plants).
- Peace and quiet.
When creating a wellness space, one thing to remember is the reason behind it: a need to re-energize, focus, and release. Follow a plan, and you’ll be able to shrug off that “always something” that pops up in everyday life.
This post was written 10/22/2019.
It was updated 2/9/2021.