If you’re moving to San Francisco, California, soon, you’ll be glad to know this city truly has something for everyone. From iconic landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge to exciting attractions and amazing cuisine, there’s an abundance of fun things to do in San Fran. To discover them all, read on. The storage experts in San Francisco, iStorage, rounded up the 10 most fun things to do below!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
10 Things to Do in San Francisco
1. Marvel at the Iconic Golden Gate Bridge
A visit to San Francisco would only be complete with seeing the grandeur of the Golden Gate Bridge. The world-renowned suspension bridge spans the strait between San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean, offering breathtaking views and fantastic photo opportunities. Stroll or bike across the bridge, or gaze in awe at its architectural beauty and iconic red color (thanks to Irving Morrow, the Golden Gate’s consulting architect). From Crissy Field to Baker Beach, there are so many different ways to view this marvel.
2. San Francisco’s Parks and Gardens
San Francisco boasts a wide array of parks and green spaces to enjoy the outdoors. One must-visit destination is Golden Gate Park, an urban oasis that features lush gardens, serene lakes, and cultural attractions like the de Young Museum. For another outdoor experience, head to the Presidio, a former military base turned national park with hiking trails and scenic overlooks.
3. San Francisco’s Phenomenal Restaurants
No exploration of San Francisco is complete without indulging in its culinary offerings. San Fran is renowned for its diverse food scene. From seafood by the bay to authentic international cuisine, there’s something to satisfy every palate. Be sure to try some fresh seafood at Fisherman’s Wharf or savor the delectable dim sum in Chinatown. Below are several other delightfully delicious restaurants in San Francisco to try. (There are too many to list them all!)
- Dragon Beaux – One of our editor’s favorite Dim Sum style restaurants in San Francisco. Their Xiao Long Bao and dumplings are a must-try! You’ve most likely seen this restaurant floating around on TikTok or YouTube as they are famous for their Rainbow Xiao Long Bao! Pair it with some hot tea, and you’ve got yourself one of the best Dim Sum experiences in town!
- Boba Guys – Alright, alright, we all know that bubble tea is a must when visiting San Francisco. However, with so many choices, you might be curious about which should be at the top of your must-visit list, and we would say Boba Guys takes that spot. From simple milk teas to seasonal drinks, they have everything a bubble tea lover could want!
- Mister Jiu’s – One of the best in Chinatown.
- Copra- Boho-chic Indian cuisine.
- Liholiho Yacht Club – Chef Ravi Kapur’s signature eatery.
- Tartine Bakery – Rated the best in San Francisco year after year.
- Lazy Bear – A culinary experience for special occasions.
- Pizzeria Delfina – Clam Pizza and homemade pasta? Yes, please!
- Nopa – Noisy, boisterous, and 100% delicious. We recommend the wood-grilled cheeseburger.
- Aziza – Moroccan-inspired cuisines to die for. The short ribs with shakshuka and pickled beans are phenomenal!
4. Tours and Sightseeing Adventures
San Francisco offers various guided tours to help you discover the city’s hidden gems. Whether you prefer walking tours, hop-on-hop-off bus tours, or bike tours, there’s an exciting option for you. Consider taking a historical tour of Alcatraz Island to explore the infamous prison and learn about its intriguing past. If you’re a fan of great wine, the Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Full-Day Tour will be a real treat! We recommend biking around as the experience is second to none in seeing not only the bridge but also the beauty of San Fran itself.
5. Sail Away on Boat Tours
For a different perspective of San Francisco, embark on one of the city’s many boat tours. These excursions provide unique views of the city’s skyline and famous landmarks. You can choose from various options, including a relaxing San Francisco Bay cruise or thrilling adventure tours. Take the chance to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge for a truly memorable experience.
6. Whale Watching Adventures
If you have an affinity for the biggest of marine life, whales. San Francisco offers exceptional whale-watching opportunities. During certain times of the year, you can embark on guided whale-watching tours to witness these majestic creatures in their natural habitat. Keep your camera ready, as you may catch a glimpse of humpback whales, gray whales, and even orcas.
7. Fishing Fun in San Francisco
San Francisco’s location along the Pacific coast provides incredible fishing opportunities. You can join a fishing charter to try your hand at catching salmon, halibut, and many other species. Whether you’re an experienced angler or a fishing novice, the thrill of reeling in your own catch is an unforgettable experience.
8 Relax on San Francisco’s Beautiful Beaches
San Francisco offers some truly beautiful beaches for those seeking sun and surfing. Ocean Beach, located along the city’s western edge, provides a serene escape from the bustling urban life. Stroll on Baker Beach, picnic on Crissy Field East Beach, or soak in the Pacific Ocean views. The water can be pretty chilly, so swimming might not always be ideal.
9. Exploring San Francisco’s Piers
San Francisco’s historic piers are hubs of activity and entertainment. Fisherman’s Wharf, in particular, is a lively waterfront area home to various attractions, including shops, restaurants, and street performers. There are many more to explore, though, like Hyde Street Pier and Municipal Pier (“The Muni”), among many others. (Pier 39 is loaded with attractions!) Be sure to sample some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl—a local favorite.
10. Discover the Delights of Chinatown
San Francisco’s Chinatown is one of North America’s oldest and most vibrant. Wander through its bustling streets, adorned with traditional lanterns and colorful storefronts. Explore unique shops selling everything from herbal remedies to exotic teas.
Let iStorage Help You Store Your Belongings in San Francisco
If you’ve just arrived and need to store your belongings in San Francisco while you search for a new home, iStorage is a great choice! Our self-storage location at 4050 19th Ave in San Francisco has everything you need to store your things safely, securely, and with the utmost convenience.
Of course, if you’ve lived in San Fran your entire life and need extra storage space, iStorage is the best choice. The same can be said for business owners who need to store files, paperwork, and office furniture—starting a business? Let iStorage provide storage for your tools, gear, and supplies. We even provide dollies and carts to move things to and from your storage unit with ease! Whatever you need to store in The Golden City, iStorage can help. You can reserve a storage unit in San Francisco online with no deposit required so that it’s ready when you arrive. Until then, we wish you a fantastic time exploring and enjoying this uniquely American city, San Francisco!